Monday, November 16, 2020

Creativity and Connection: Wreath Workshop











Last night I was thrilled to lead an ornament making workshop for friends.  They all made amazing wreath ornaments that I will fire in the kiln, add finishing touches of pretty ribbon and deliver to them later this week.  I can’t wait to see their creations finished!  But the workshop was not about what they created.

It was about being together and connecting.

It’s November of 2020.  We are in the thick of Covid-19 and positive cases are going up across the country.  We were careful about being together.  Everyone wore masks.  I sanitized all the glass and tools and made sure they didn’t have to share. (I even asked them to bring tweezers since I didn’t have enough for everyone!)  We were careful, everyone felt safe and all had a good time.

But as I said, it wasn’t about the ornaments.  We sat together.  We talked.  We laughed.  We shared stories.  It was one of the most “normal” feeling evenings I’ve had in a long time!  There are so many   things that I have missed during this extra-ordinary year that we have been living.  Some of those experiences I won’t get back, like seeing my daughter go to her Senior Prom and Graduate from High School,  but it helps to remember and appreciate that so many of the things I am missing are really still there.  My family is still there.  My friends are still there. My church is still there.  My glass people, fellow artists, clients, show organizers... all still there.  We are going longer without seeing each other, but when we do, the relationships and friendships we miss are still there, as always, open for connection. 

 Just like we were last night.

Covid-19, for all its disruption to our lives, for all the pain and loss it has brought to so many, may have a silver lining.   It has reminded me to think about what’s important in my life.  Creativity, and making things is big on my list.  But, creativity without connection is incomplete.

Last night I had both.  I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creativity and Connection: Wreath Workshop

Last night I was thrilled to lead an ornament making workshop for friends.  They all made amazing wreath ornaments that I will fire in the k...